Catch Me If You Can

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Bikram 30 Day Challenge

On Monday, I started a 30-day challenge: Bikram yoga every day for 30 days.* I would like to chronicle the experience here, even if I do so sporadically.

Monday, on the heels of two trips last week, I was not feeling particularly energetic or enthusiastic. Not the best way to begin "Bikram30." As with any class where I go in thinking it's going to be a terrible day, I actually had a really satisfying 90 minutes on the mat. Jaime even told me that I was looking "so bendy stretchy" in Standing Bow Pulling Pose (after which she suggested an adjustment that helped me bend more but also made the pose more challenging...).

All day Tuesday I looked forward to yoga, since I'd had a great practice the day before. And as with any class where I come in with a bit too much confidence and not enough humility, I struggled all 90 minutes. I even fell out of the last Standing Bow Pulling Pose, which reminds me that every day is different. I have to be patient with myself, because improvement is a long game. I might feel great about a pose one day only to struggle with it the next.

Today is Day 3, the 10% mark. I feel exhausted, so I'm trying to treat myself kindly today. I am looking forward to practice this afternoon, but I know it will not be easy because I'm already tired.

In addition to Bikram30, I've also been watching my food and water intake. Fuel is important if I'm going to survive 2700 minutes of hot yoga in the next 4 weeks. My bikini-modeling friend suggested the "if it fits your macros" style of eating, which has been great so far. Within my calories for the day, 40% protein, 35% carbs, and 25% fat is the goal; the MyFitnessPal app has been a really great tool for meal planning and tracking what I eat. I'm also trying to drink a gallon of water each day - and if you know me, you know that is a challenge. So far so good.

Though I have gotten 8+ hours of sleep every night this week, I still feel quite spent. I hope this has more to do with recovering from my two big trips last week and adjusting to back-to-back yoga days. I don't think I'll make it 30 days if I continue to feel this drowsy!

These are my thoughts and observations from the beginning of the journey. Here's hoping I will make it to day 30!


*You are allowed to miss up to 3 days, but to make up for it, you must do 2 classes per day for each day you miss. Yikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home